Notice: No weekly meeting for Thanksgiving week!
Welcome to Norman Chess Club (NCC) !
Norman Chess Club (NCC) is an Oklahoma non-profit educational organization that maintains a formal program of instruction to teach the game of chess and to promote and support its educational program through community outreach and local partnerships to increase the awareness of the educational value of chess. We work closely with local chess association to offer weekly chess activities completely free of charge to families. In addition to provide a forum for the community to play chess games, the club also offers chess improvement classes, beginner classes and special lectures.
Chess has been proven to have an incredible number of benefits for kids. It teaches valuable lessons for developing students like problem solving, critical thinking, spatial awareness and goal setting. Through the game of chess, we hope to help kids succeed in the classroom and become productive members of society.
NCC is an affiliate of Oklahoma Chess Association (OCA), which is the United States Chess Federation State Chapter Affiliate for the state of Oklahoma.
Presidential Service Award -- Certifying Organization
The President's Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) is a volunteer awards program that recognizes volunteers for investing their time and talent to serve the community. The Award enables community organizations--as Certifying and Leadership Organizations--to amplify their gratitude by joining with the President of the United States to thank their most dedicated volunteers.
NCC is a certifying organization for the Presidential Service Award. Student volunteers completing service hours for this award must contact NCC office for processing. The volunteers completing the required service hours in NCC will be granted PVSA.
Z. Cao and R. Hoggard were granted the Presidential Service Award by PVSA headquarters in 2016-2017. NCC continues to welcome the applications of student volunteers during 2017-2018 season. Please contact NCC for more information.
NCC Weekly Meeting: School Year 2017-2018
NCC hosts weekly meeting every Wednesday night during the regular school year. K-8 chess players living in or close to Norman are welcome to join us.
- Time: Wednesdays, 7:15-8:15 PM, 08/30/17-05/09/2018
- Location: community hall at St. Stephen's United Methodist Church, 1801 W. Brooks St., Norman, OK
- Club policies and rules: click here
St. Stephen's United Methodist Church
St. Stephen's United Methodist Church is the primary sponsor of Norman Chess Club. We sincerely appreciate the church providing a wonderful place for club activities.
Upcoming/Recent Tournaments (Selected)
- Edmond Cheyenne Middle School Scholastic Open 2018, Feb. 10, 2018
- Ida Freeman K-12 Winter Open 2018, Jan. 13, 2018
- Tulsa AREA Scholastic Chess K-12 Open – 2017, December 9, 2017
- 18th Annual Albert Rine Memorial Oklahoma State Grade Championship, November 11, 2017
- Cherokee Nation K-12 Open – 2017, October 14, 2017
- Carl Albert K-12 Scholastic Open 2017, September 23, 2017
- Back To School Classic August 26, 2017, August 26, 2017
- Norman Chess Club 2017 Summer Tournament, May 13, 2017, (results 1, 2 )
- The Challengers April 22, 2017 Open in Oklahoma City, April 22, 2017
- Oklahoma Scholastic Blitz Championship 2017, Apr. 08, 2017
- 21st Annual Oklahoma State Scholastic Chess Championship, Mar. 4, 2017
- 3rd Norman Chess Festival, Jan. 28 - 29, 2017
- 17th Annual Albert Rine Memorial Oklahoma State Grade Championship, November 12, 2016
- The 1st OU Junior Scholastic Chess Tournament, November 5, 2016
- The 2nd "Do or Do Not" Chess Tournament at University of Oklahoma, October 22, 2016
- Carl Albert K-12 Scholastic Open (results), September 24, 2016
- Norman Chess Club 2016 Summer Tournament (results), July 31, 2016
Club Executive Board
- Coaches: Zile Cao (Head Coach), Qing Cao, Ray Hoggard
- Assist Coaches: Suriamin Huang, Jerry Xing
- President: Zile Cao
- Vice President: Qing Cao
- Treasurer: Li Huang
- Training Director: Gang Zhao
- Media Director: Tao Chen
- Former Board Members: Joshua Riesenberg, Hua Chen, Jun Huang
Should you have any questions about NCC or have interests to join us, please contact us at email: email@example.com
We appreciate your support to this non-profit educational program. Should you want to donate to our club, please make the check payable to Norman Chess Club. Mailing address: 4129 Pine Hill RD, Norman, OK 73072
Links for chess learnng, our partners, sponsors, and resources