Notice: Norman Chess Club 2016-2017 season is over now. Have a great summer break! See you all in 2017-2018 season when school is open in September.
Notice: We are glad to know Norman Chess Club was reported by NewsOK on May 20, 2017. news link is here
Welcome to Norman Chess Club (NCC) !
Norman Chess Club (NCC) is an Oklahoma non-profit educational organization that maintains a formal program of instruction to teach the game of chess and to promote and support its educational program through community outreach and local partnerships to increase the awareness of the educational value of chess. We work closely with local chess association to offer weekly chess activities completely free of charge to families. In addition to provide a forum for the community to play chess games, the club also offers chess improvement classes, beginner classes and special lectures.
Chess has been proven to have an incredible number of benefits for kids. It teaches valuable lessons for developing students like problem solving, critical thinking, spatial awareness and goal setting. Through the game of chess, we hope to help kids succeed in the classroom and become productive members of society.
NCC is an affiliate of Oklahoma Chess Association (OCA), which is the United States Chess Federation State Chapter Affiliate for the state of Oklahoma.
Presidential Service Award -- Certifying Organization
The President's Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) is a volunteer awards program that recognizes volunteers for investing their time and talent to serve the community. The Award enables community organizations--as Certifying and Leadership Organizations--to amplify their gratitude by joining with the President of the United States to thank their most dedicated volunteers.
NCC is a certifying organization for the Presidential Service Award. Student volunteers completing service hours for this award must contact NCC office for processing. The volunteers completing the required service hours in NCC will be granted PVSA.
Two of student volunteers for school year 2016-2017 are needed. Please contact NCC office for more information.
NCC Weekly Meeting: School Year 2016-2017
NCC hosts weekly meeting during school year 2016-2017. K-8 chess players living in or close to Norman are welcome to join us.
- Time: Wednesdays, 7:15-8:15 PM, 08/24/16-05/03/2017
- Location: community hall at St. Stephen's United Methodist Church, 1801 W. Brooks St., Norman, OK
- Club flyer: click here
- Club policies and rules: click here
NCC Summer Chess Class
NCC offered free chess class for scholastic players in Norman during June and July 2016:
- Wednesday class: 7:00-8:00 PM
- Sunday class: 7:00-8:00 PM
The chess class in summer 2017 will be in August, time and location TBD.
- Norman Chess Club 2017 Summer Tournament, 1:15-4:45PM, May 13, 2017
- The Challengers April 22, 2017 Open in Oklahoma City, April 22, 2017
- Oklahoma Scholastic Blitz Championship 2017, Apr. 08, 2017
- 21st Annual Oklahoma State Scholastic Chess Championship, Mar. 4, 2017
- Ida Freeman K-12 Winter Open – 2017, Jan. 14, 2017 (rescheduled for Feb. 18, 2017)
- 3rd Norman Chess Festival, Jan. 28 - 29, 2017
- 17th Annual Albert Rine Memorial Oklahoma State Grade Championship, November 12, 2016
- The 1st OU Junior Scholastic Chess Tournament, November 5, 2016
- The 2nd "Do or Do Not" Chess Tournament at University of Oklahoma, October 22, 2016
- Carl Albert K-12 Scholastic Open (results), September 24, 2016
- Norman Chess Club 2016 Summer Tournament (results), July 31, 2016
Club Executive Board
- President: Qing Cao
- Training Director: Gang Zhao
- Media Director: Tao Chen
- Fundraising Director: Hua Chen
- Activity Director: Jun Huang
- Treasurer: Li Huang
- Coaches: Zile Cao, Joshua Riesenberg, Ray Hoggard (Assist.)
Should you have any questions about NCC or have interests to join us, please contact us at email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We appreciate your support to this non-profit educational program. Should you want to donate to our club, please make the check payable to Norman Chess Club. Mailing address: 4129 Pine Hill RD, Norman, OK 73072
Links for chess learnng, our partners, sponsors, and resources