Club calendar for weekly meetings and chess tournaments of 2020-2021 season.
Greetings from club Co-Presidents
We hope this message finds you in good health. As many of you are aware, Zile Cao has been our Club president for the last few years, and he has done a tremendous job! We want to thank him for his dedication to found and lead the Norman Chess club! As Zile moves on to his college life, Jerry and I will both take the leadership role and continue to support our players.
Since March, it has remained clear that in-person meetings represented a major health risk that we were not willing to take. The safety of our members is of utmost priority. We understand that the unfortunate situation that this pandemic has put us in and, as we prepare for the upcoming school year, have worked hard to develop a plan that focuses first on the health and safety of our chess players.
In an attempt to accommodate the needs of our members, we have decided to move Chess Club meetings online. We are currently deciding on a platform for members to play on and will be starting meetings on Wednesday, September 9th, 2020.
In addition, there will not be any membership dues this year. Participation will be free of charge . As time goes on, we will be able to provide more information, such as which site we will be using to host games and any chess tournament information.
We understand that information surrounding COVID-19 continues to rapidly evolve, and will continue to take a measured and flexible approach to ensure we can adapt to new situations and scenarios as they arise. Please continue to check your Groupme messages and our website regularly as meetings and tournament information comes out.Thank you all, and stay safe. Norman Chess Club Co-Presidents Lucas Nguyen and Jerry Xing
Welcome to Norman Chess Club (NCC) !
Norman Chess Club (NCC) is an Oklahoma non-profit educational organization that maintains a formal program of instruction to teach the game of chess and to promote and support its educational program through community outreach and local partnerships to increase the awareness of the educational value of chess. We work closely with local chess association to offer weekly chess activities completely free of charge to families. In addition to provide a forum for the community to play chess games, the club also offers chess improvement classes, beginner classes and special lectures.
Chess has been proven to have an incredible number of benefits for kids. It teaches valuable lessons for developing students like problem solving, critical thinking, spatial awareness and goal setting. Through the game of chess, we hope to help kids succeed in the classroom and become productive members of society.
NCC is an affiliate of Oklahoma Chess Association (OCA), which is the United States Chess Federation State Chapter Affiliate for the state of Oklahoma.
Club Executive Board
- Co-President: Lucas Nguyen, Jerry Xing
- Board members at large (alphabetical order): Qing Cao, Ye Guan, Li Huang, Xiao Huang, Zhaowen Xing
- Coaches: Ray Hoggard, Lucas Nguyen, Jerry Xing
Presidential Service Award -- Certifying Organization
The President's Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) is a volunteer awards program that recognizes volunteers for investing their time and talent to serve the community. The Award enables community organizations--as Certifying and Leadership Organizations--to amplify their gratitude by joining with the President of the United States to thank their most dedicated volunteers.
NCC is a certifying organization for the Presidential Service Award. Student volunteers completing service hours for this award must contact NCC office for processing. The volunteers completing the required service hours in NCC will be granted PVSA.
Z. Cao, R. Hoggard, L. Nguyen, and J. Xing were granted the Presidential Service Award by PVSA headquarters in the past seasons. NCC continues to welcome the applications of student volunteers. Please contact NCC for more information.
St. Stephen's United Methodist Church
St. Stephen's United Methodist Church is the primary sponsor of Norman Chess Club. We sincerely appreciate the church providing a wonderful place for club activities.
Upcoming/Past Tournaments (Selected)
- Independence School Chess Open, Yukon, OK, 18 April 2020
- Oklahoma State Scholastic Championship, Midwest City, OK, 7 March 2020
- Oklahoma Scholastic Blitz Championship, OKC, OK, 8 February 2020
- Tulsa University School Chess Open, Tulsa, OK, 18 January 2020
- Cheyenne Middle School Chess Open, Edmond, OK, 14 December 2019
- Jenks High School Chess Open, Jenks, OK, 9 November 2019
- Oklahoma Grade Championship, Tulsa, OK, 5 October 2019
- Norman K-12 Scholastic Chess Open, Norman, OK, 14 September 2019
- Woodall K-12 Scholastic Chess Open, Tahlequah, OK, 24 August 2019
- National Junior High Championship, Grapevine, Texas, 26-28 April 2019
- Norman Chess Club Annual Tournament - 2019, April 20, 2019
- Yukon K-12 Open at Independence Elementary in Yukon, March 30, 2019
- Oklahoma Scholastic Chess State Championship at Carl Albert High School in Midwest City, March 09, 2019
- Important club event: Central Oklahoma Scholastic Chess Open - 2019, February 23, 2019
- Jenks K-12 Open, February 16, 2019
- Oklahoma Blitz Championship at Moore High School, January 19, 2019
- Cheyenne K-12 Open Cheyenne Middle School in Edmond, December 08, 2018
- Albert Rine Memorial State Grade Championship at Will Rogers High School in Tulsa, November 17, 2018
- The Cherokee K-12 Open at Sequoyah High School in Tahlequah, October 13, 2018
- Cleveland K-12 Open at Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics, September 15, 2018
- Norman Chess Club Annual Tournament -- 2018, Jun. 3, 2018
- Oklahoma State Scholastic Blitz Championship 2018, Apr. 14, 2018
- 22nd Annual Oklahoma State Scholastic Chess Championship 2018, Mar. 24, 2018
- Jenks Scholastic Open Chess Tournament (Grades 1-12), Feb. 24, 2018
- Edmond Cheyenne K-12 Open - 2018, Feb. 3, 2018
- Ida Freeman K-12 Winter Open 2018, Jan. 13, 2018
- Tulsa AREA Scholastic Chess K-12 Open – 2017, December 9, 2017 (Cancelled)
- 18th Annual Albert Rine Memorial Oklahoma State Grade Championship, November 11, 2017
- Cherokee Nation K-12 Open – 2017, October 14, 2017
- Carl Albert K-12 Scholastic Open 2017, September 23, 2017
- Back To School Classic August 26, 2017, August 26, 2017
- Norman Chess Club 2017 Summer Tournament, May 13, 2017, (results 1, 2 )
- The Challengers April 22, 2017 Open in Oklahoma City, April 22, 2017
- Oklahoma Scholastic Blitz Championship 2017, Apr. 08, 2017
- 21st Annual Oklahoma State Scholastic Chess Championship, Mar. 4, 2017
- 3rd Norman Chess Festival, Jan. 28 - 29, 2017
- 17th Annual Albert Rine Memorial Oklahoma State Grade Championship, November 12, 2016
- The 1st OU Junior Scholastic Chess Tournament, November 5, 2016
- The 2nd "Do or Do Not" Chess Tournament at University of Oklahoma, October 22, 2016
- Carl Albert K-12 Scholastic Open (results), September 24, 2016
- Norman Chess Club 2016 Summer Tournament (results), July 31, 2016
Should you have any questions about NCC or have interests to join us, please contact us at email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We appreciate your support to this non-profit educational program. Should you want to donate to our club, please make the check payable to Norman Chess Club. Mailing address: 4129 Pine Hill RD, Norman, OK 73072
Links for chess learnng, our partners, sponsors, and resources